Blog — small business
10 Vintage Fashion Tidbits you Didn't Know you Needed to Know
Posted by Miss Chloe on
It’s probably safe to say that we’re all here because we love genuine and/or reproduction vintage fashion, right? But have you ever wondered how the things we wear and the features of our outfits we rely on day-to-day came about? How did we end up with tiny, fiddly zips to seamlessly fasten our dresses, or laces for our shoes? What even is a dart, and why were (or are if you’re a vintage lover) people so obsessed with petticoats? These are just a few of the questions that researching items, writing product descriptions, and exploring the rails at our Gosport...
- Tags: 1930s, 20s Style, 30s style, 40s style, 50s style, accessories, Blog Post, cotton, dresses, Dresses with pockets, eco friendly, full skirt, gosport, hampshire, pockets, portsmouth, retro, retro style, shop local, Silk, small business, vintage fashion, vintage history, vintage style
Bill Skinner Jewellery at Voluptuous Vintage
Posted by Miss Sam on
Introducing Bill Skinner Jewellery! If you’ve been anywhere near our little Alverstoke Boutique in Gosport recently you’ll have probably seen or heard just how excited Miss Petra is about one of our (many!) new brands that have just been delivered into stock. We’re really pleased to get a huge selection of absolutely darling pieces from Bill Skinner here at Voluptuous Vintage; the attention to detail and magic feel of the hand-painted jewellery is very much on brand for us. A little bit of luxe, but with bags of character. Shop all Bill Skinner Jewellery here! Bill studied at Sir...
- Tags: accessories, accessorising, alverstoke, animals, Art Deco, bill skinner, Blog Post, bridal, Brooch, eco friendly, enamel, gifts, gosport, hampshire, Jewellery, luxury jewellery, necklace, pets, retro style, shop local, small business, vintage style, voluptuous vintage
A Quick Guide to Necklaces!
Posted by Miss Laura on
What Necklace Length should I choose? You’ve no doubt seen that we have a dazzling array of vintage style and semi-fine necklaces to browse both in-store and online, and we always try to include the length and adjustability where we can. But do you find these measurement numbers are a bit baffling? For starters, there’s a range of necklace lengths in general, and some places may include names for each rough length, as detailed in this handy table: Chain Length (Inches) Body Placement 14” Collar: Wraps around the throat/neck 16” Choker or Bib: Against the base of the throat/neck...
- Tags: 20s Style, 40s style, 50s style, accessories, accessorising, Acryllic, Agate, alverstoke, Art Deco, Big Metal London, Blog Post, Curvy Girls, Esa Evans, everybody welcome, gosport, hampshire, Jewellery, necklace, retro, retro style, Rosie Fox, shop local, small business, vintage fashion, vintage style, voluptuous vintage, VV Tips
Roundup: Spring/Summer 2022 Pretties
Posted by Miss Chloe on
The sun has (finally) made an appearance and we’re praying to the fashion gods for a sickly sweet, sticky hot summer worthy of all our vintage fabulousness and finery. Mrs Darling has outdone herself this year and our quality check of this season’s stock was a non-stop swoon fest with lots of trying things on (aka an after-hours fashion show!). Read on for a whistle-stop tour of some of our absolute favourites new in for the Spring/Summer season. You might want to buckle up though, there’s a lot and it’s all goooooorgeous. Psst: if you don’t have time to read...
- Tags: 40s style, 50s style, accessories, alverstoke, Blog Post, cotton, dresses, Dresses with pockets, everybody welcome, full skirt, garden party, gosport, hampshire, party dress, Pin Up, pockets, portsmouth, retro, retro style, small business, Spring, spring fashion, SS22, Summer, summer fashion, sundress, vintage, vintage fashion, vintage style, voluptuous vintage, wedding guest
Three Exciting New Jewellery Brands With an Eye on the Environment
Posted by Miss Chloe on
We are so beyond excited to announce the arrival of three fabulous new jewellery brands to the boutique and online store! We are committed to reducing the impact that the fashion industry has on the planet with small, measurable steps every day. That’s why we have hand selected these brands for their beautiful, timeless designs and dedication to reducing the environmental impact of the fashion manufacturing process. At Voluptuous Vintage, we believe that anything we buy should be a lasting addition to our wardrobe and should be available to all budgets. That’s why we’re excited that these brands place an emphasis...
- Tags: 50s style, accessories, Acryllic, Bakelite, Big Metal London, Brooch, Demi-Fine, eco friendly, Esa Evans, garden party, hampshire, Handmade, Jennifer Loiselle, Jewellery, retro, retro style, retrospec'd, small business, vintage, vintage style